How to Treat Ringworm on eyelid Quickly?
Facial ringworm is a common fungal infection, also known as tinea faciale, causing a circular rash in certain areas of the face, including the eyelids. Eyes are highly sensitive and when they are infected, immediate measures should be taken to treat and minimize the symptoms in order to avoid any complications.
Various possible ways are there to cure ringworm infections around the eyes depending upon the severity of the patient’s condition. Both home remedies and pharmaceutical treatments are available that prove to be really helpful in treatment of ringworm on eyelid and around the eyes.
- Over the Counter Antifungal Ointments and Creams are usually suggested by medical professionals. Commonly recommended medicines are clotrimazole, miconazole and terbinafine. Infection usually takes two weeks or more to clear out depending upon the severity of rashes.
- Prescribed Topical Treatment is used when OTC antifungal medicines are not effective. Doctors prescribe various high potency topical medications such as econazole, oxiconazole or naftifine. According to the National Institutes of Health, under regular medical treatment, ringworm infection should clear up within four weeks.
- Oral Antifungal Medication is prescribed by medical professionals for severe cases of ringworm infection, or for those patients who haven’t responded to topical treatments. Itraconazole, griseofulvin and fluconazole are commonly prescribed oral medicines.
Home Remedies for Treating Eyes’ Ringworm Infection
- Raw and filtered apple cider vinegar used undiluted- Soak cotton wool in the ACV and apply it directly on the eyelid ringworm. Keep the eyes closed while the product dries.
- Coconut oil mixed with few drops of tea tree oil is an effective natural remedy for curing ringworm infection on eyelids. Be careful not to get the tea tree oil in the eyes.
- Oil of Oregano, easily available at health food stores, is another helpful remedy.
- Iodine solution can also be used for dabbing on ringworm on the eyelid.
For effective results of the all remedies mentioned above, apply it at least 3 times daily, until the rash heals completely. Ringworm usually spreads to other body parts in different stages, checkout ringworm progression, so avoid direct contact with the affected area and keep a regular check on rest of the body.
“Prevention is better than cure”
Knowing how to prevent the development of an infection is way better than making efforts for treating the symptoms.
- Maintaining proper hygiene and limiting contact with other infected individuals, both pets and humans, can significantly lower the chances of getting infected by ringworms.
- To instill longterm habits, awareness should be created among children regarding the importance of frequent handwashing and not sharing personal items like towels, napkins etc.
- Consuming a balanced diet filled with foods rich in probiotics can also prevent various skin infections. Probiotic-rich foods include miso soups, kefirs, and yogurts with live cultures, sauerkraut and other fermented foods.